Now that we have closed without a hitch, the real work begins. We all meet at the new house to assess everything and put a little more detail around our budget. When we walked in the door, I realized I had forgotten just how bad that smell was in the air. We all agreed the culprit of the odor was the carpeting (sorry for the blurry picture). This is the living room. This room clearly needed the carpet pulled. This is where we started. To pull the carpet, we do not try to pull up the whole room at a time. Using a utility knife, we cut it into 2-ft wide strips. Pulling it and rolling it as we go. We then band the small roll. This way, we can put it into the normal trash tote used for pick-up. Because we do all of the work ourselves, we can usually keep the amount of disposal small enough in a week we don’t need to get a dumpster. If you were using a crew and demoing everything at one time you would need a dumpster.
The room we call Bedroom 2, also clearly needed the carpet pulled:
The first bedroom was more of a challenge, the carpet didn’t look awful so there was a long discussion of whether we could just clean it. On day 1, we did not pull this carpet. In the end, we did pull this carpet as well.